Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Mail Question I have been living in my Apartment complex for

Customer Question

Mail Question
I have been living in my Apartment complex for 20 years. I (and all other tenants) have always gotten mail delivered directly to my door (mail slot). Have just been advised that starting tomorrow I will receive a key to a mail box in one of three mailbox areas in the complex where my mail will be delivered. I am handicapped. Any rights/recourse???
Thanks
Charles Salmon
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Unfortunately, it is not illegal for a landlord to have a central area for the distribution of mail, as opposed to door delivery.
The area for distribution of mail must be handicap accessible since it is a public area.
Unless your lease specifically provides that mail will be delivered to your door the landlord is not in breach.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Thank you.