Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If the parent and 3 siblings sell a parents rent house when

Customer Question

if the parent and 3 siblings sell a parents rent house when the 4th sibling does not want to sell? her daughter has been living there 6 months rent free because my mother allowed it, now she wants to sell just like the 3 of us. my father is deceased and my mother still living, but they were divorced.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
In a situation where there are multiple owners of a property, any owner can force a sale of the property, even if other owners don't want to. If one owner refuses to sign off on any sale, any other owner can contact a local real estate attorney to file a "partition action" in court to have a judge order that the property be sold. This is an absolute right that can not be denied.
.
The judge will typically order the property listed with a realtor after appraisal for a few months and then for it to go to absolute auction to the highest bidder if it doesn't sell. So if the one sibling wanted to purchase the house, they can either obtain a loan to buy everyone else out or bid at any auction if they want to keep it.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this in Louisiana also?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Correct, all information is state specific to the customer. See this link:
.
http://www.partitionaction.com/states/louisiana/
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you e-mail me a copy of this answer to *****@******.***
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, as a site user like you, I can't email things to people. When I want to save something, I highlight it, copy it and then paste it into a Word document to save.
.
Or it is always available to you through your JustAnswer account.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please send a copy of this answer to my email at *****@******.***
Thank you Barrister
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if you saw my last response....
.
.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Barrister you were very helpful!!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.
.
If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.
.
.
thanks much