CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

Do a utility company have the right to put underground cable

Customer Question

Do a utility company have the right to put underground cable on my land without my permission. I am out of the city limits, raw land. Land adjacent to my land with houses but their utility cable is on my land. Land in Texas
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
In most cases, the answer is yes.However, the utility company must have an easement in order to place cable (above ground or under ground) across your property. The type of easement that they have will determine whether or not they can place the cable underground.If they do not have an easement now, they can get an easement using imminent domain laws, where you will be forced to sell an easement to the utility company for a price fixed by the court (usually using a professional appraiser or appraisers to value the property and easement). In most circumstances, the landowner and the utility company will come to an agreement regarding the sale of an easement for a negotiated price without the utility being forced to file an imminent domain case, and both parties will save the time and expense of litigation.