How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34858
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex roommate rented one of my room from my condo.*She did

Customer Question

my ex roommate rented one of my room from my condo.
*She did not pay the sixth month rent.
*She voluntarily moved out three day after receiving the 30-day notice. (At which time she refused to discuss the rent owed or the security deposit)
* She was responsible for damages to the property estimated from a contractor at $1500.
* The police were called twice to resolve disputes (once because she threatened me with bodily harm)
* I found out prior giving her the 30-day notice that she was also buying cigarettes and liquor for my adolescent daughter and bringing men into her room (which was in violation of our rental agreement).
I am not able to spend a great deal of money to resolve this matter. Is it possible you can assist me with a letter stating that I am suing her and take my case on a set fee bases?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will do what I can to help...Unfortunately, JustAnswer legal experts can't represent customers from the site per the terms of our independent contractor agreement with JustAnswer. We are limited to providing information to customers..But this is the type of case that small claims court is made for. The amount in question should be well below the statutory limit for small claims and you don't need an attorney to file. The clerk of the court will have the summons and complaint forms that you need to sue for any delinquent rent and damages that the roommate caused. You just need to have estimates ready to show the judge what it will cost to repair..Once you filed the complaint, the roommate will be served with it assuming you know where they are living or working. Then you both appear on the court date and present your case. Yours is pretty simple...she didn't pay rent or for any damages she caused. Assuming that she can't prove that she did pay, you should get a judgment that you can then use to garnish wages, seize bank accounts, and levy on personal property to collect on...thanksBarrister