Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

The rental company that manages the house I rent just informed

Customer Question

The rental company that manages the house I rent just informed me that they will no longer accept payments from me. The ONLY form of payment they will now accept is an online payment. To do this, I must agree to the terms of a 3rd party. I must allow the third party to deduct my rent from my bank account directly. I may not change or prevent this deduction without the consent of the property owner. I must provide the 3rd party with a voided check via EMAIL or their Dropbox account. I must also send the rental company a copy of the voided check via email. I also must PAY a $3 convenience fee each time I pay my rent from this point onwards. I don't feel this is legal because in Nevada I have the right to withhold rent should the landlord not act in good faith to keep essential services (like my air conditioning) in good repair. I feel that they cannot force me to use a specific service to pay my bill.
There are also security risks in sending a copy of a check via email and a dropbox account.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Did they tell you why they will no longer accept payments from you directly? Did something happen in the past? Also, does your lease agreement address any specific form of payment?