Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

How much notice to give tenants notice to term month to month

Customer Question

How much notice to give tenants notice to term month to month lease in California? I am selling property. Can u email notice?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to help...Can you tell me how long the tenants have lived there?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 years
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, under CA law (CA Civil Code 1946.1) if a tenant has lived somewhere over a year, then the landlord has to give them a 60 day notice to terminate a month to month tenancy. This notice must be in writing (physical paper form) and delivered to the tenant personally or can be served by a sheriff or constable if the landlord chooses..If the tenant doesn't then vacate within that 60 days, the landlord can then file a formal eviction action, called an unlawful detainer, to get a judgment against them and a writ of possession that the sheriff can execute to physically remove them. Time...about 3 weeks after the 60 day notice expires....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it need to be a formal written document or can we just type the notice with the info? Tx
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
There is not a specific form that is required, but you can use this template:.http://www.firsttuesday.us/course/Downloads/569-1.pdf..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...
If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanks muchBarrister