Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

Ive got a seriously nosy LL and i need them to leave me al

Customer Question

Ive got a seriously nosy LL and i need them to leave me alone
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. How exactly can I assist you, what specifically is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My land lord used to live at my address. The neighbors call them constantly about everything. Two days ago they showed up to "look" at the fence they were supposed to replace the week I moved in. They text me that my dogs got out. They text me that my dogs are in the house. Accuse me of making changes to their home when I removed the mail box to keep it from getting damaged by a delivery driver who dropped off my mobile office. They seem to schedule an upgrade or repair every week and I've only been here a month. I want them to leave me alone.
The texts that you were sent, were they correct? Were your dogs out of the property, or in the home? And did you make changes to the property? (Removing a mailbox, regardless of legitimate need, is legally a change). Please advise!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. But all of it is really none of their business
Actually it is their business. Since this is their property, they have a right to ensure that the property is not damaged or misused, and can demand that you repair any damages done to it. Furthermore if you are using the property in a manner that can create violations from the city, such as zoning or issues with dogs getting loose, the landlord is liable to the city as the home-owner--likewise he can then make you be financially responsible for any costs that he incurs. While you may see it as the landlord being 'nosy', what he is doing in this instance is very much within the law, as he has a vested interest in making sure that the property you rent remains habitable, safe, and that he avoids fines from the city. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Constant daily contact is acceptable?
Daily contact, if necessary, can be upheld as acceptable. But it does border on harassment if the contact is not designed to inform but to annoy. In other words if the landlord sees a new violation on a daily basis, sending a daily message is acceptable. Sending a daily message over the same violation would likely be seen as potential harassment. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I understand. So if my dogs are in the house when I'm not there which is in the "house rules" and she messages me constantly about it. That may be considered harassment. So really there is nothing I can do to get them to leave me alone they can schedule a repair or upgrade every week of my lease legally.
No, if this is a violation, and it is a new violation (you brought the dogs in before you left), it is seen as a new violation and the landlord can inform you by contacting you. As for scheduling repairs, they DO have to first obtain permission from you. If you do not consent, you can bar entry if home, and that would not violate your rights as a tenant. Furthermore, you can inform them that if they continue to enter the premises constantly, they are violating your right of 'quiet enjoyment' of the premises, and that may give you the basis to even pursue a claim via the courts for your damages. Does that help clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that gives me an idea of what I can do.
Fantastic! Please let me know if I can help assist you in any other way. Otherwise, if satisfied, kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you! Sincerely, ***** *****