CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

Birchfield I have not made the last 6 HOA payments Their attorney

Customer Question

Birchfield I have not made the last 6 HOA payments Their attorney filed suit claiming a balance due of $2353.48. After deducting "work in process" legal fees totaling $706.48, I offered to pay the amount owed including late fees of $1647.48. However, plaintiff counteroffered $1086.00 in legal fees in addition to the $1647.48. This lawyer has done nothing except file a complaint and send a letter. I think this fee is very excessive.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Legal fees generally run a couple of hundred dollars an hour. In order to prep a file for litigation, the law firm must review the file, ensure the HOA (or the management company) has properly calculated the assessments and prepared and filed the lien amounts, and sent all appropriate notices. The law firm must then prepare the documents and send the letter, and file and serve the documents.A bill of $1,000.00 for initiating a suit is on the upper end, but is not unheard of. You may be able to negotiate a lower amount, but as an attorney who spent several years working for a firm that did a lot of this type of work for HOAs, this type of bill is not outside the realm, even when doing the work in a reasonable and prudent fashion.