WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I live in Pennsylvania and I'm having a lot of trouble with

Customer Question

I live in Pennsylvania and I'm having a lot of trouble with my landlord. I am a great tenant who pays on time every month. There is damage to the walkway due to the bitter and icy conditions. I actually had to use a minimal amount of ice melt for the 1/4"
of ice that rained from the sky. I read the bag before putting the ice melt down and it said that the ice melt would cause no damage as long as the concrete was not poor. (It was poured 30 years ago and i watched the ice bubble the concrete from underneath
and ruin the surface. So, 2 questions on this.....#1 would the landlord (or homeowner insurance) be liable if a visitor or myself injured ourselves for lack of safety consideration (not putting down ice melt on ice) #2 am i truly liable for the damage even
though the concrete was poor? (there was evidence that the concrete was already faulty from a previous skim job) They have orally offered to put it through there homeowners and asked us you pay the deductible of $500. my feelings is that they should take it
out of the security deposit if I am truly at fault for this. Am I able to get my own estimates and my own professional opinions from expert masons?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the landlord would be liable if injury to a person on the sidewalk No, you are not liable for damage to the concrete because it was in unreasonably poor condition to begin with. The landlord must replace and bring it up to standard, according to Pennsylvania law. Please rate the answer 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.