Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

my house was sold at a tax sale but it was in the last owners

my house was sold at a tax sale but it was in the last owners name . they were his back taxs ! after they sold it I went and switched the house in my name at the recorders offices !im I going to lose my house .what can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 9 months ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am an Illinois licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

How long ago did you purchase the property and did you close at a title company? Did you receive a title insurance policy?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no I did not had a attorney draw up a warranty deed had it notarized. Had the deed for three years just filed it last week its dated March 18 2010 . I purchase the house march 18 2010 but waited threeyear to file it.

Oh my gosh why didn't your attorney insist that you receive a title insurance policy for the seller. Who has been paying the tax bill since you purchased the property?

What is the date the deed was signed by the seller?

Had you been checking the status of the taxes with the county treasurer to make sure you were up to date.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have been paying tax bill. March 18 2010 is the date it was singed by the seller . and yes and no yes I was checking on the taxes no I did not know that 1 years worth of tax's were bought by some 1 else.

Once the seller signed the deed the taxes were no longer their responsibility. You will need to redeem the taxes.

Which county is the property located in? Have you talked to the Treasurer's Office with regard to redeeming the taxes? Which Tax year was sold?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Danville ,I.L 61832 vermillion country .yes I have they keep telling me they issued a tax deed to the tax buyer and they wont tell me nothing but the house is still in the guys name I bought it from and that's how I could switch it into my name last Friday.

. 2010 was the year I think!!!!!!

Thank you for the clarification.

The county had no proof that you were the owner until the deed was recorded.

Unfortunately, the redemption period is 2 years. If this was in 2010 you are passed the redemption period.

Now that you recorded the deed the treasurer will be able to provide you with more information.

You will need to contact the person that bought the taxes and see they will agree to work with you.

.At this point in time it is out of the State's hands and up to the person or entity that purchased the delinquent taxes.

You may wish to file a complaint against the attorney that assisted you with the warranty deed. He needed to make sure that the deed was recorded and should have advised you to perform a title search and close the transaction at a title company. Your deed would have been recorded so that this could never have happened.

Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
Thank you.