Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

Auction or go realtor listing of a real-estate property A

Auction or go realtor listing of a real-estate property

A property has appraisal value of $130k 3 years ago. A business renter has shutdown the business. Now, the property is vacant. One option for the owner is to sell it at auction.
The aunctioner only agreed to take it to sell if the minimum bid is not more than $50k.
But this aunctioner is not local in that area. He thought to sell a property in depressed area(in his opinion) he has be do at deep discount. He charges 10% commission after sale. He will list the property on MLS. He will try one aunction within 40 days.

On the other hand, a local realtor can list the property on MLS. She said the inventory is low in the area. She is willing to list with 7% commission. She is willing to put listing price for $100 to $120k. The realtor wants to list for 6 months.

Which option makes more sense here. Does the aunctioner has enought time to get buyer around 30 days from now?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have time, listing with an real estate agent makes more sense as you have more control over the price you get and their fees are less. With an auction, it takes them at least 30 days to advertise the auction and you have no control over what someone bids and you could get significantly less if few buyers show up or only one buyer shows up at the auction or if you set a minimum price and nobody at the auction wants to bid.

All in all, it is best to try to sell with an agent first and the auction is a last resort.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.