Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Father died, my condo is in his name & I have paid all the

Father died, my condo is in his name & I have paid all the payments & down payment 100% on my own. Do my brother or sister have any financial stake in "my" condo?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Did father leave a will disposing of the condo?
.
Why was the condo in his name if you were the actual purchaser?
.
Did you have some type of agreement with father that it was your condo, just in his name?
.
If so, is there any evidence of the agreement?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Will
I had bad credit & was unable to obtain financing
Just a verbal agreement
Ok, from a purely legal perspective, when father passed, the condo would be considered an asset owned by his estate because it was in his name. If he didn't have a will, then legally his heirs at law would inherit his assets, condo included. The way the intestacy laws go, if he wasn't married, then his children split his estate equally.
.
So as a matter of law, if he was unmarried, your brother and sister would have a legal claim to the condo because it was in father's name. With that said, it would be up to brother and sister to agree to waive their interest in the condo by executing a quitclaim deed over to you if they know that it is actually yours and you have paid everything on it.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.
.
Thanks