Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I have a rental property. The tenant has not paid the rent

I have a rental property. The tenant has not paid the rent since the first. He has a one year lease ending in May. I called him and he said he was "too busy", Can I post a 3 Day notice myself?
Can I send it registered mail? (what if he does not pick it up?)
I have a late fee on the lease but I read that I cannot charge him a late fee, is this true?

Has he broken the lease?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can post and send the 3 day notice yourself. It can be sent by registered mail and also posted to the door of the residence if you cannot put it in the hands of the tenant directly. This is called nail and mail service.

As far as late fees, while the CA law says that pre determined late fees cannot be charged in a lease, the exception is that if the late fee is actually reasonably representative of the losses you incur from the late payment. For example, if the late fee represents the reasonable cost of you posting the eviction notice and mailing it, then the courts will likely hold it to be valid.

If he has not paid rent, then he is in breach of the lease and you can indeed seek to evict him for breach of lease.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.