Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I have property on a lake in Northern Minnesota. Another land

I have property on a lake in Northern Minnesota. Another land owner has obstructed the outlet with rocks and sand and refuses to remove it. Can I sue?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Is the lake navigable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is access for small craft through private property.

I have a 17 foot pontoon on the lake.

Thank you for your response.

If the lake is navigable, then he is interfering with navigation on the navigable waterway and at the very least he is infringing on the rights of all lake owners to use the lake and for that he could be sued for infringing on those rights and interfering with navigation on the water.

If he refuses to clear the passage, then you would have to sue him and get a court order against him to force him to clear the obstruction.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.