Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
11688690

We just bought a piece of property, land only, which is beside

We just bought a piece of property, land only, which is beside a residential lot. We just got a call saying that one of the trees on our lot fell down and landed on the neighbor's truck. What type of liability, if any, do we have? Thanks
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be the attorney assisting you.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne NO LIABILITY unless you knew that there was a dangerous tree that was infected or diseased on the property.

The fact is - that the neighbor's insurance company will pay for their damages (including their vehicle).

Moreover, they have to remove the tree from their property - you don't have any liability for doing such.

The only way you are liable is - IF YOU KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that the tree was defective. That actually means that the neighbor put you on notice.

Because you are not an "aborist" - defective trees are not readily apparent to the lay person.

I would inform the neighbor to make claim to their insurance companies because you didn't know nor was it readily apparent that the tree was somehow defective - YOU JUST BOUGHT the property.

Kindly do not forget to positively rate my answers so I can be compensated for assisting you.

Thank you!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).