J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I have property in 2 states. To pass the houses to an heir,

Customer Question

I have property in 2 states. To pass the houses to an heir, do I need a will from each state? How about a revokable living trust?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping and providing you information today.

If you have property in more than one state it is not necessary to have a two separate wills or trusts. A will or a revocable trust should be created in the state in which you current consider your permanent residence.

If a probate is necessary for the property outside of your resident state is necessary ,it will be called an ancillary probate in which the out of state property will go through probate in the county in which the property is located. The property will be distributed in accordance to the terms of the will created in your resident state. This would also be the case if a trust is in play, the property will be transferred to the beneficiary as directed by the terms of the trust.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience: Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also, can my witnesses for my Illinois will.....reside in WI?

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional question. The requirements for witnessing a will is that the witness be present at the time and watch you sign your will. The witness does not need to be an Illinois resident however the witness may not be a beneficiary of the will. If the witness will have property of the estate left to them, they may not be a witness.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concern

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!