Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it! Since I have

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it! Since I have to give my roommate 30 days notice, is there anything I need to make sure I put in writing to give him the 30 days notice to make sure I'm covered in case he doesn't leave. (Not only has he lied, but he has stolen a few items too, so I want to cover all my basis since it's a really bad situation.)

Also, on follow-up, after looking at Illinois state law, I'm a bit confused. My roommate has lived with me for more than a year. It's only in the past few months, that I've had problems. His sublease with me ended in August and now he's month to month. So based on what I'm reading below, it looks like I can give him 7 days notice? Or am I missing something.

735 ILCS 5/9-207) (from Ch. 110, par. 9-207)
    Sec. 9-207. Notice to terminate tenancy for less than a year.
    (a) Except as provided in Section 9-207.5 of this Code, in all cases of tenancy from week to week, where the tenant holds over without special agreement, the landlord may terminate the tenancy by 7 days' notice, in writing, and may maintain an action for forcible entry and detainer or ejectment.
    (b) Except as provided in Section 9-207.5 of this Code, in all cases of tenancy for any term less than one year, other than tenancy from week to week, where the tenant holds over without special agreement, the landlord may terminate the tenancy by 30 days' notice, in writing, and may maintain an action for forcible entry and detainer or ejectment.
(Source: P.A. 98-514, eff. 11-19-13.)

Hello again,
.
This is the standard language you can use:
.

30 DAY NOTICE

TO: [Tenant's Name and Address]

YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT your tenancy in the premises situated in the City of [Tenant's City], County of [Tenant's County], and State of Illinois, being described as follows: [Tenant's Street Address] shall be terminated as of [Date].

Demand is hereby made that you vacate the said premises and deliver up possession thereof to the undersigned at that time. No further demand shall be necessary before bringing legal proceedings to recover the premises.

Dated this [Day] of [Month], [Year].

By: [Signature]

.

.

Or this is a link to a site that has about the same language along with a Affidavit of Service that you can have notarized swearing you servedthem.

.

http://www.illinois-attorney.com/forms/landlords-thirty-day-notice-to-terminate-a-tenancy/

.

,

Thanks