Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Kindly explain this to me in laymans terms: "A deed of assignment

Kindly explain this to me in layman's terms:
"A deed of assignment to trustees for creditors does not pass the legal title to bills and notes, so as to enable the trustees to sue thereon in their own names."
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.

Simply explained, you are the mortgage company who holds the mortgage, you cannot be bothered pursuing everyone who is delinquent, so you come to me and give me the deed of assignment as trustee for that deed and I get the same rights you have to sue for the delinquent debt and seek to foreclose on the house. You still own the house, I get to manage it and get the rights to sue over the debt.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks. SO - if party 1 records an assignment of mortgage granting all interest and rights, for purposes of foreclosure to party 2, and party 2 forecloses in their own name for themselves, is that fraud?
Thank you for your response.

No, the party with the assignment can sue in their own name as they have all of the rights to do so. It is not fraud because they have received the rights from party 1.