Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

We are currently renting a "corporate apartment" in a large

We are currently renting a "corporate apartment" in a large complex that also rents unfurnished "non-corporate apartments. We specifically wanted the more expensive, furnished corporate apartment because it was the only short-term (3 month and then month-to-month) lease option.

We were apparently given the wrong lease to sign (it wasn't reviewed with us at signing) and it is for a one year term. We signed it without fully understanding it (bad, I know, but they were in the wrong also by printing out the wrong thing), and then later clarified with the manager that we understood that we are in a short-term situation. The manager agreed that the lease looked "odd" for a corporate rental and that she would look into getting it fixed, and that there would be "a couple of options."

A month later it still hasn't been fixed. She apparently talked to her manager and they are escalating the situation to a higher level. She is now asking for "evidence" that we intended a short-term lease; all I have is one email exchange with her re: the paragraph above, everything else was verbal with an employee who gave us a tour, etc.

We don't want to stay here a year. What are our options if it is not resolved to our satisfaction?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

LeslieEsq :

Hello

Customer:

Hi

LeslieEsq :

One of the requirements of any contract is that there needs to be a meeting of the minds

LeslieEsq :

When one of the parties is under the belief that the agreement is for one situation and in fact you signed an agreement for a different situation the required meeting of the minds is lacking.

Customer:

What should I do if the lease doesn't get "fixed" to what we had intended to sign up for?

LeslieEsq :

You can certainly file consumer complaints against them for that is worth.

Customer:

Like with the better business bureau? Or the local news?

LeslieEsq :

I would suggest that you demand that the situation be resolved sooner rather than later. Yes, the BBB the Attorney General

Customer:

Would it help me if I got a local lawyer to send a letter to her? Or is it sufficient to try to do it myself?

LeslieEsq :

That may become necessary. I would certainly try to resolve this on your own first. It is interesting that the manager agreed that the lease looked odd and now wants evidence.

LeslieEsq :

Stand firm on the fact that there was no meeting of the minds as you believed you were renting a short term lease.

Customer:

I know. My husband thinks it is because she "got in trouble" when she talked to her manager. Or something along those lines. Perhaps she is trying to blame us, or perhaps they just have really rigid rules. Regardless I am glad I have that previous email exchange!

LeslieEsq :

Yes, me too!!

Customer:

Thank you!

LeslieEsq :

That email shows that there was a different understanding on your part

LeslieEsq :

You are welcome.

LeslieEsq :

Do you have any additional questions for me today?

Customer:

No, that was it. Thanks!

Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
Thank you.