Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

bought a condo in FL; the buyer wouldnt sell unless the furniture

bought a condo in FL; the buyer wouldn't sell unless the furniture was included; had inspection done and no major issues; moved in and found the place was infested. Since then started throwing out mattresses and other furniture left. My problem is that the listing said "move in ready" do I have any recourse for either the seller or the realty for misrepresentation?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

do I have any recourse for either the seller or the realty for misrepresentation?

I am afraid that while you may not have a case against the seller, you may have a case against the inspector. Allow me to explain.

1) In Florida, a seller is obligated to disclose to buyer all known facts that materially affect the value of the property and that are not readily observable.

2) To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.

3) Let us say that the seller was sued. The closest action would be FRAUD. The elements for actionable fraud are (1) a false statement concerning a material fact; (2) knowledge by the person making the statement that the representation is false; (3) the intent by the person making the statement that the representation will induce another to act on it; and (4) reliance on the representation to the injury of the other party. Lance v. Wade, 457 So. 2d 1008 - Fla: Supreme Court 1984.

4) The issue is that the Seller can argue that (1) you did do an inspection and had the opportunity to find the infestation, (2) the infestation does not materially affect the value, and/or (3) the infestation occurred after they sold. In short, the claim may for FRAUD here may be very weak against the seller. In addition, the same applies to the realty office.

5) However, one may have a case against the INSPECTOR used. The four elements of negligence are (1) a legal duty owed by defendant to plaintiff, (2) breach of that duty by defendant, (3) an injury to plaintiff legally caused by defendant's breach, and (4) damages as a result of the injury. Paterson v. Deeb, 472 So. 2d 1210 - Fla: Dist. Court of Appeals, 1st Dist. 1985 It could be argued that the INSPECTOR here had a duty per the contract to properly inspect the property for you, and failed to notice these issues, and you suffered as a result.

6) In summary, the case here may be stronger against the inspector than the seller/realty office.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok, say I want to go further with legal action. Can you direct me to an org that will take up theses cases for pro bono. I am on disability and cannot even afford the money I am paying for extermination.. thank you

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
C,

Thank you for your follow up. While I cannot make any promises, I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory/florida.html

…and another list:

http://www.lawhelp.org

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

http://www.hg.org/law-schools-florida.asp

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

can you give me some general info on the process of a lawsuit plese in the state of FL?

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Sure, I would be happy to do so. Please tell me:

1) What county is this in, and
2) How much is the cost to get rid of infestation and loss in chattel (furniture) due to what had to be thrown out?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Saint Lucie County

$600 so far with the infestation company

paid $9000 for all of the furnishings. at least $4500 (Beds, mattresses, couch, chairs etc) have been thrown away.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

This may be a matter for small claims court in FL. For a step by step guide on this matter, see here. For a very thorough explanation of the process, see here (although from Pinnelas, the description generally applicable state-wide). For a flow chart, see here.

Again, the case here may be for "negligence."

The case is begun by one filing a complaint with the court, which is then served unto the other party and there is a trial hearing later on. The Court should have blank pleadings for this.

To contact the small claims court in your county, please see below.

250 N.W. Country Club Drive, RoomXXXXXLucie, Florida 34986

Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thank you

and you believe the best case would be with the inspector? can I also file against the seller? and can this be done at the same time.

I appreciate the information.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
You are very welcome.

and you believe the best case would be with the inspector?

You mean against the inspector? And if so, yes.

can I also file against the seller?

If you'd like, although it is my belief that the case against the seller may be weaker.

and can this be done at the same time.

Technically yes. One can have more than one Defendant, and if so, the Court will apportion the blame as it sees fit.

I appreciate the information.

My sincere pleasure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok thanks

will I get a transcript of this info or just rely on my emails

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
C,

I am afraid that JustAnswer does not allow me to email you a copy of the transcript; my apologies. I simply do not have that ability. However, you may copy and paste the conversation and/or print it out if you'd like.

Apologies, but the site simply limits me to this medium only.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.