Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

hi, my husband put my name on the deed to his house when we

hi, my husband put my name on the deed to his house when we got married five years ago. now i am thinking of filing for divorce. can he take my name off the deed or do i legally own half. i live in mass. if i get divorced am i entitled to half the house
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

You're in good shape with regard to the house. Once he put your name on the deed, you became the owner of 1/2 the house. Had he owned this house prior to marriage and not put your name on the deed, it would have remained his sole and separate property. But, by putting you name on the title, you became the owner of an undivided 1/2 interest in the house and would be entitled to 1/2 of it in the event of a divorce. He has no legal right to unilaterally to now take your name off the deed; once he put your name on the title to the house, that constituted a completed gift and he has no legal right to rescind that gift unilaterally.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it the same with the joint accounts? also, i have an inherted ira and his name is XXXXX XXXXX it. can he get any of that?

Thanks for your quick follow up. The joint accounts would be considered marital property and subject to equal division upon divorce. Inheritances, such as your inherited IRA, are considered sole and separate property of the recipient. As long as you don't add his name to the account, it remains yours alone and would be subject to division upon divorce.

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that!
Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you are very welcome. thanks for your quick response. i have added you to my team of experts. thanks again

Thank you so much! I appreciate that! Have a great week!