Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  Mediator, part of the Ohio Save the Dream Foreclosure project

Sacramento county House inspection program (California). 1)

Sacramento county House inspection program (California).
1) I am property manager of xxxx 42nd St, Sacramento.
County asked me to let county inspect the house.
But the tenants said he does not want it. if he is forced to inspect, he will leave.
He is one of best tenants I don't want him to leave.

2) County forced me to send notice to access, can I reject to do so ?
I am not county employee, why do I need to access the house for County ?
(see the link: )
3) looks like County inspection program violates tenants privacy and tenants Constitutional Right.
Are there any people who successfully rejected it?
If I use lawer to asnwer that "as property Managr and owner , we don't want to
violate tenants Constitutional right, we don't want to send notice to tenant for this inspection",
can we do that ?

Thanks (see the link above)

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the law here is not on your side. The County building inspector has a legal right to inspect the premises. There is no constitutional protection against housing inspections. The inspection is completed to assure the property is up to code and does not present a health hazard to tenants.

Your failure to comply can have dire consequences. The County can file a lawsuit or criminal charges. In some counties the property can be condemned pending inspections and all tenants forced to leave.

I can sympathize about what you tenant is saying and threatening. There are really no options here. The tenant just like you are subject to the laws which require that you submit o an inspection.

While I understand this is not the response you were hoping for please do not berate me for the laws in place. I would ask that you rate my response 3 or better so I can get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you know someone filed lawer suit to court :

I am not sure what you are asking ? Could you restate your question ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
From this site, someone got favor from judge in Hayward , do you know whether they win or lost in upper court ?
No I do not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jack, defends argue using below words, do you think he is right in someway ?

The 14th Amendment: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

There is no property interest being taken by an inspection. You are not being deprived of life, or liberty. The government may enact laws for the public safety. The laws are applied equally to all landlords. Once the inspection is complete and you have violations that need be fixed you are entitled to a hearing if you do not wish to repair the violations. If you lose the there are significant consequences.

If you think about it look at airports, every passenger is being searched. You enter a government building metal detectors abound.

Many states have car inspections which if failed can deprive you of using you automobile on the roads.

Building inspectors are the norm for construction, they can stop a project in its tracks for violations.

A landlord or tenant can argue with the inspector about denying access for an inspection, it is a losing proposition.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).