CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

how do i get a property put in my name. i have been living

how do i get a property put in my name. i have been living in my father's house for 35 years. i pay the taxes, all the utilities, and do all the upkeep on the house including improvements. both he and his spouse are deceased.

William B. Esq. :

Thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

To get title in your name on the property you will need to file a "quiet title" action.

William B. Esq. :

Here is a link to a very brief article on this specialized type of lawsuit that you file to establish your ownership interest under the California Civil Code (http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/a-brief-guide-to-quiet-title-actions-in-10444/), if there are no parties contesting your case, it can probably be resolved fairly quickly, usually within 3-6 months depending on the backlog of your court.

William B. Esq. :

You are not required to have an attorney to file this type of lawsuit, but it is highly recommended as the statutory requirements for service of the complaint, and ensuring that all of the appropriate defendants are named is very specific under the CCP and hiring an attorney to assist you with this may be a good investment.

William B. Esq. :

Unfortunately, I am not permitted to give specific referrals on this forum. I can however give you a couple of sites that will be helpful in locating a local attorney. You can find attorneys on your State Bar Association’s website: (calbar.org); Martindale Hubble: (http://www.martindale.com/); or, on AVVO: (http://www.avvo.com/find-a-lawyer).

To keep costs down, I recommend finding an attorney that is working in a small firm or as a solo practitioner. A newer attorney usually charges slightly less than a more experienced attorney, while the more experienced attorneys are usually a little more efficient. In the end, you need to find an attorney that you feel comfortable with, and it is okay to speak with more than one before retaining one.

William B. Esq. :

(My apologies, I just reviewed my earlier post, I mistakenly wrote "California Civil Code" when I meant to write "California Code of Civil Procedure" (quiet title actions are governed by the CCP)).

William B. Esq. :

I hope the above is helpful, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know and I will follow up quickly.

Thank you for using our service, please do not forget to rate my answer when you are satisfied. I am going to transfer our conversation to the "Q&A" format to ensure you can review the entire response and that I can follow up to any questions you may have quickly. I do wish you the best of luck in this matter.