Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

IN FLORIDA, Palm Beach County, can a COMMERCIAL landlord of

IN FLORIDA, Palm Beach County, can a COMMERCIAL landlord of an office building lock out a non-paying tenant without going to court first? If not, please point us to the appropriate section of Florida statutes if there is one.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under Fl Statute 83.05 the only reasons a landlord can take possession of the property are 1) with a legal court order after an action for possession, 2) when the tenant has surrendered the premises to the landlord, or 3) when the tenant has abandoned the premises. This means they cannot lock out a tenant. If a landlord locks out a tenant without a court order or one of the other reasons in the statute, they could be subjected to some heavy damages from the court including all losses the tenant suffered in the lockout. See: Rost v. Bowling, 861 So.2d 1246 (2nd DCA).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.