Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I live in Oregon and want to switch agents. I have been under

I live in Oregon and want to switch agents. I have been under contract with current agent for three months and was told by other realtors I can break it at any time. However, when I told current agent that I was switching, he told me my current contract (which I don't have a copy of) does not expire and new agent would have to pay a referral fee. New agent does not think this is legal in Oregon. Is it?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for education purposes only.

The Oregon Realtor's Association states that a real estate agent listing agreement may contain a provision that reserves the right to collect fees in the event the seller terminates the contract without good cause. The current realtor can have an enforceable contract provision regarding cancellation that makes the seller liable to pay fees to the current realtor if they engage another realtor within a certain period of time after canceling the contract or if they sell the home within a certain time within canceling the contract. Thus, if your contract does contain such a provision, which you need to get a copy of, you can be bound to that contract by the Oregon courts.

The only way out of this contract in this case would be if you can prove good cause for terminating the agent/broker such as for failure or refusal to perform in actively seeking to sell the home.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.