Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.

My nephew in Alabama built a house on property that his step-son

My nephew in Alabama built a house on property that his step-son was in the process of buying. After the house was built, the land purchase fell through. He has lived there 5 years but the land was sold and the new owner has ordered him off the property. Does he have any legal rights?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for his situation.

Yes, he has a cause of action for "unjust enrichment"

UNJUST ENRICHMENT - is a general equitable principle that no person should be allowed to profit at another's expense without making restitution for the reasonable value of any property, services, or other benefits that have been unfairly received and retained.

Although the unjust enrichment doctrine is sometimes referred to as a quasi-contractual remedy, unjust enrichment is not based on an express contract. Instead, litigants normally resort to the remedy of unjust enrichment when they have no written or verbal contract to support their claim for relief.

Unjust enrichment is a benefit by chance, mistake, or another's misfortune for which the one enriched has not paid or worked and morally and ethically should not keep. If the money or property received rightly should have been delivered or belonged to another, then the party enriched must make restitution to the rightful owner.

So, I would file suit against the property owner for unjust enrichment - that the property owner is unjustly enriched at your nephew's expense and effort.

Since they don't have a contractual remedy - this is a quasi-contractual remedy.

It's somewhat like the "restitution".

Now what your nephew could recover is the cost to build the structure - not the land - just the structure.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.