Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced law for 25 yrs. with an emphasis on real estate, business law, criminal defense and family law.
20073497

how long do u have to live on land to have squatters right

how long do u have to live on land to have squatters rights

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you,

In order to acquire title by adverse possession, the claimant (you) must meet certain statutory requirements and common law requirements, .

The Statutory requirements are found in Alabama Code 6-5-200(a) and state that in order for a claimant to acquire title by adverse possession, the claimant's name must be listed for at least 10 years on the County's Tax rolls and the claimant has been paying the taxes for the last 10 years, or you are claiming ownership of the property because you recorded a deed in your name at least 10 years ago in the probate court in the county where the property is located.

In addition, you as the claimant must have occupied the property for at least 10 years and your occupancy was exclusive, actual, open, notorious, hostile and adverse to the interests of the true owner,

If a claimant meets the above requirements, then they acquire title to the property by adverse possession,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA