Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

Can a school board sell school real estate for much less than

Can a school board sell school real estate for much less than fair market fair marketvalue
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

WI Statute 120.10(12), the School Board may, " Authorize the sale of any property belonging to and not needed by the school district. If a school site or other lands are to be abandoned which were acquired or are held upon condition that they revert to the prior owner when no longer used for school purposes, the school board shall sell any school buildings thereon or move them to another site within 8 months after the school buildings cease to be used for school purposes or the site ceases to be maintained as a school district playground or park."

The statute does not prevent them from selling below fair market value as long as the sale is for reasonable value in the best interest of the district as in this economy sale of any property at market value is sometimes not practical in the commercial sales as it is in residential sales.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can a school board sell real estate to a village or city for one or two dollars witch is only a small part of the school district and what gives them that right.

Thank you for your response.

The statute above gives them the right AND there are no WI statutes prohibiting such a transfer, especially to another governmental agency or entity. As there are no statutes preventing such a transfer for nominal payment, which is what a $1 or $2 payment is called, then it is not prohibited.