Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
11688690

Is there a workaround for a spouse to purchase property solo

Is there a workaround for a spouse to purchase property solo in north carolina without the other spouses signature
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

A spouse can always "buy" property individually. However, they would need to have the other spouse sign a deed transferring the property to the next owner OR, if they divorced, they would need to sign over their interest to the spouse.

Because the property would be bought during the marriage, they would have a marital interest in the property.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am being asked for my spouse to be at closing or sign a document prior to closing. Is this necessary?

The "document" could be that you are "waiving" your marital interest in the property.

Do you know what "document" you are supposed to be signing?