Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Real Estate Attorney

A friend was willed a lifetime interest in a house and property

A friend was willed a lifetime interest in a house and property by her late ex husband.

After her death, the property goes to the wife of the decedent at the time of his death. The decedent provided in his will to his then wife another piece of property and house to live in.

After the death of the decadents wife, the property goes to a granddaughter with no restrictions.

This is in NC.

Can a document be recorded at the ROD that supports the information in the probated will and closed estate?

The County tax office shows the ex wife as the current owner as a Life Estate.

There will be a followup question..

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

If the tax office shows the ex wife as the current life estate owner, why are you asking about recording something with the ROD -- I assume that's been done if the assessor is reflecting a change of ownership (as they generally obtain their information from the ROD's office)?

I am unable to locate it in the ROD but the tax office gives a reference to the estate file number.

Well, as far as recording something -- you would record a copy of the order from the probate court that sets out the life estates, etc. You would record a certified copy - not just a regular copy. However, I would presume that it's already been recorded or the tax office wouldn't have that information. Please let me know if I can provide additional information. Thanks.

Thank you for your assistance....