How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6556
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

95% of the open spaces behind the units in our Subdivision

This answer was rated:

95% of the open spaces behind the units in our Subdivision are seeded with grass & maintained. The other 5% are treated as "natural area" & not maintained. Shouldn't the open space behind the 5% of units be maintained in the same manner as 95% of other properties in the Subdivison?

Our Declaration reads: a) "Common Area" means all real property owned by Assoc.....Common Area shall also include all open spaces designated as such on the recorded plat for Subdivision... b) "Common Expenses" means expense of administration, maintenance.... of the Common Area....

All open spaces are designated as such on the recorded plat for Subdivision.

The Bylaws do not address this subject.

There is no mention of "natural area" anywhere.

Thank you.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. Was this natural area designation created by an amendment?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


No, this natural area was not designated by an amendment.

If there is no separate designation these areas would be treated as part of the common area.

I checked the Statutes and there is no natural area designation. Further there is nothing in the statutes that releases the Association from maintaining all common areas.

Are they trying to say this is a limited common area?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know what they are trying to say except refering to "natural area". Would the "limited common area" make a diference
?

North Carolina laws are not very restrictive on the powers of the Association for a condominium or planned communities.

 

The NC Condominium Act Chapter 47C The NC Planned Community Act Chapter 47F

In fact there are very few requirements placed on the Board. In fact, North Carolina is one of the most lenient states in the Country. They do not provide owners with a lot of protection against the HOA.

If the board created a separate designation, such as a limited common area, they can provide different rules for those designations.



Our Declaration reads: a) "Common Area" means all real property owned by Assoc.....Common Area shall also include all open spaces designated as such on the recorded plat for Subdivision... b) "Common Expenses" means expense of administration, maintenance.... of the Common Area....
Based on the above language and under the requirements of both Acts the maintenance of the common areas is required.

 

 

Attyadvisor and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions