How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Seattle Scott Your Own Question
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Real Estate Attorney
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Seattle Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother-in-law and I own a 5 acre lot. He has not paid

This answer was rated:

My brother-in-law and I own a 5 acre lot. He has not paid real estate tax for over 10 years . How can we resolve this issue ? I called him and asked him to quick deed and he just hg up?
I take it that you have been paying 100% of the real estate tax - correct? How much does your brother owe you on his 1/2 tax obligation?

On the IRS issue, if he deeds to you, the tax lien will stick to the property ( the brother's 1/2 interest)so you may not want his 1/2 share until something can be worked out with the IRS.

Finally, can you confirm that the lot is not income producing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2500.00 . I checked at the court house and the lein has been removed. How can we resolve this ? How many years do we have to put up with this . It is just a vacant plot.

Wait until he owes you enough money to make it worth your while to sue him in small claims court. You will get between 7% and 12% interest on the judgment.

Then record the judgment in the county where the real estate is and just let it sit there until you want to foreclose the judgment and sell his 1/2 interest at a sheriff's sale. No one will bid except you ( no stranger wants to own property jointly with you )and you will own the property, or your brother will pay off the judgment to avoid foreclosure or deed the property to you.
Seattle Scott and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions