Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.

how can someone buy property at sheriff sale and then change

how can someone buy property at sheriff sale and then change locks before they have deed in hand. in PA
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

my mother passed away. the house wasn't in her name Who is on title to the house? it sold at sheriff sale on monday. Friday I went to retrieve her and late husbands belongings. to find locks changed on house. how can that be when all they have is a bill of sale. and 10% down. can I get the belongings out.

Who was living in the house? It is not proper for the locks to be changed at this time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nobody was living in house. only belongings was in house. all utilities were shut off. I found out it was sold monday and made arrangements to get belongings out today. and found locks were changed.

can you tell me who was on the title to the home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

her late husbands name and his mothers name and both are.deceased

And no estate was ever opened to have the property placed in your mom's name?

Do you have anything that proves ownership on your mother's behalf?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

old utility bills in her name. thats all

You will want to have a copy of the death certificate and any other documentation that shows that your mom lived at the property address. You will contact the Sheriff and advise them that your mother was residing in the home and that all her belongings remain the home and that the Purchaser at the Sheriff's sale has unlawfully changed the locks.

If the Sheriff will not assist you a court order may need to be obtained.

The Purchaser has no right to possession at this time.

Let me know if you have any issues with the Sheriff and we will go from there.

Thank you.