ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

In MA are summer vacation rentals subject to the same landlord

In MA are summer vacation rentals subject to the same landlord tenants laws as it relates to eviction
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 11 months ago.

ScottyMacESQ :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacESQ :

Yes, unfortunately the law applies to short tenancies (such as vacation home tenancies) as it does to ones of longer duration. Because this is more than just a "houseguest" or transient guest (such as guests of hotels) the eviction process would have to be complied with. In fact, the only law that is different for vacation homes is the security deposit requirement.

The security deposit and last month's rent law does not apply to any rental for a vacation or recreational purpose of 100 days or less in duration. It also does not apply to commercial rentals. (the law is Under Mass. General Laws, ch.186, §15B, at the beginning of the tenancy, a landlord may charge only:

• rent for the first month;

• rent for the last month, calculated at the same rate as the first month;

• a security deposit equal to the first month's rent; and

• the purchase and installation cost for a key and lock. This does notmean a key deposit. The law does not allow a key deposit.

ScottyMacESQ :

So that's the only difference in a rental of a vacation home for under 100 days.

ScottyMacESQ :

Other than that, I'm afraid you're going to have to go through the eviction process.

ScottyMacESQ :

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas