J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.

I am legally separated. I live in metro Denver, Colorado (Englewood,

I am legally separated. I live in metro Denver, Colorado (Englewood, CO). I want to buy a condo in metro Denver. Can I do this without any involvement whatsoever, of legally separated husband?

Thank you for your time and advice,
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you might be hoping to hear.

If the separation is a legal separation obtained through the court then property acquired after a legal separation is considered separate property and excluded from marital property. The Colorado Statute is C.R.S. 14-10-113(2)(c).

To the extent one meets the lender's qualifications of a loan and is not using joint funds, a legally separated spouse does not need to be involved or be given notice of the purchase.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" or “continue conversation” tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.