RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

How many times can you petition the court for more time concerning

How many times can you petition the court for more time concerning eviction? I am going through the "system" in order to get help but it's taking a long time. I just asked the court for more time and was given a date of the 30th to come and show the court why I need more time. My concern is that I will need more time after that because this whole process is not streamlined at all so it takes months longer than necessary. Are Judges willing to let tenants get as much time as needed as long as they are showing verifiable "just cause"?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The Judge is going to balance your request against the landlord and his/her needs as well. If a tenant is living in a rental property and the rent is not being paid, the landlord is being prejudiced. The landlord needs to be able to find a new tenant and when the current tenant is there, it is hard to do. If there is prejudice to the landlord, your request would be denied. You certainly need to show good cause but also need to be specific as to what you situation is, who you are dealing with, what help you are getting and why it is taking so long. Moreover, you need to request the time and explain to the Judge why you need this. Eventually, the Judge is going to deny your request, seeing how the landlord is having someone stay in their property and not pay rent.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.