Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

When a plaintiff is granted judgment for possession of property.

When a plaintiff is granted judgment for possession of property. Can defendant file a appeal with no residential lease at prothonotary/clerk of courts?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is yes (but with caveats, see below). Even though there is no written lease in place, the Defendant may still appeal the decision of the Court by law on any ground (it is automatically assumed that a non-written lease is a month to month lease anyhow under PA law). The appeal would go to the local Court of Common Pleas.

As such, the answer is yes, they can.

However:

1) The tenant has to appeal in 10 days or their appeal right is forfeited;
2) If an appeal is filed, she will be required to post with the court the amount of rent owed OP three months rent; whichever is less. Rule 1008(B). If she does not, the authorities may force her out.

So while she can appeal, she may not be able to DO so unless she fulfills the above.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.