Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.

I just received a citation in the mail for not having an occupancy

I just received a citation in the mail for not having an occupancy permit on one of my rental properties in AC, New Jersey. The items were fixed the first time the inspector came out but he returned to the incorrct unit. I was unaware of this as it was being handled by my RE agent. The citation says I need to appear in court but I will be out of the country on business. Can a lawyer appear for me or can they possibly change the court date?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Yes, a lawyer can absolutely appear on your behalf and handle the citation or ask for a continuance. The attorney may be able to work this out before the court date as the wrong unit was inspected.

Thank you.