Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

my upstairs neighbor stomps around for hours sometimes, I offered

my upstairs neighbor stomps around for hours sometimes, I offered to buy her padding under her area rug to soften the blow, she refused, she said she can make as much noise as she wants until 11:00 p.m. This means that she can stomp as much as she wants no matter how much it disturbs my quality of life. what can I do if anything?
Hi and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. I am happy to help.

Since you already spoke with your neighbor who ignored your requests and gracious offer, notifying the landlord would be the next step. You have a right to quite enjoyment. Noise problems are nearly always very difficult to deal with. Tenants have different tolerances for noise and landlords generally want to avoid tenant-tenant disputes over noise. It is always best to try and work it out informally with the tenant first, if possible. In extreme cases, a call to the local precinct may prompt a visit and warning from the police.

Chronic disruptive noise may constitute a legal nuisance for which court proceedings are available. For this, we suggest that you contact an attorney.

You may want to consider mediation, where a neutral third party hears both sides of a disagreement and helps develop solutions that meet everybody's needs. The following Community Mediation Centers provide free mediation services:

Manhattan Mediation Center(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Washington Heights-Inwood Coalition(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Brooklyn Mediation Center(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Bronx Institute for Mediation & Conflict Resolution(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Queens Mediation Network(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Staten Island Community Resolution Center(NNN) NNN-NNNNx23.

I am sorry you have to go through this. I hope this response answers your question. Good luck, Damien