Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I just found termites in a commerical property: I sign the

I just found termites in a commerical property: I sign the lease on 19th. I wrote a check and received the keys yesterday. I put a stop payment on the check when I found the termites and emailed the landlord. I have asthma and this will effect my health. I heard that there is a three day rule to get out of a lease in Texas. Is this true.
Hi and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. I am happy to help. There is no three day rule (its a myth). However, a Texas renter does not have to endure unhealthy and unsafe living conditions. The property that a Texas renter occupies should be free from any infestations of roaches, rats, termites and other pests. Therefore, the landlord has a duty to address the problem upon notice. In any event, most people in your situation would have done the same as you did since you just signed the lease, never have occupied the premises and cannot occupy the premises under its current conditions. Further, if the landlord knew of the termites infestation and failed to disclose it, then you could have a claim against the landlord. I know this answer is not clear cut since technically you can only break the lease if the landlord refuses to rectify the situation or it is impossible for you occupy the space. But most people in your situation would have done the same as you did (and you have a health issue). You will have to see what the landlord does at this point. If you have any other questions, let me know. Best regards, Damien