J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.

I am selling a Condo unit to an agreed buyer and is nearing

I am selling a Condo unit to an agreed buyer and is nearing the close. However, half year before, the refrigerator of my empty apt. leaked water to the unit down below, which tenant is now making a claim. Would this affect my sale and closing? I think the tenant should make claim to the condo association. Thank you very much.
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

Sorry you are dealing with this situation. In general the condo owner is responsible for damage caused by water leaks that occur in the area owned by the condo owner. If the leak occurred from your refrigerator its is likely that you will not be able to get the condo association to accept the claim.

Regardless, this should not affect closing as it is a personal claim against you for the property damage below. You could also tender the claim to your property insurance company to determine whether such incident is covered by your policy.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" or “continue conversation” tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.