lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with expertise in easements
15417118

if i have 100% interest in a co owed property, does that mean

if i have 100% interest in a co owed property, does that mean i also have the rights to all the buildings on that property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Could you elaborate a bit for me? I'm confused by the reference to owning 100% when there is a co-owner? What does the co-owner own? And, if nothing, how is the co-owner a co-owner? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no clear deed to this property. As of right now, there are 3 deeds showing interest in this property. There is a mobile home and three buildings on the property. So since it isn't a clear deed, and the one I have says I have 100% interest in the 152 acres, does that mean I also can use the buildings?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'm going to opt out because I think given all the issues running through your question I believe you'll be better served by a WV-based expert. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.
Expert:  lwpat replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET the your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

I will try to assist you. I you have clear title to a piece of property, you also own the permanent structures on that property. That normally does not include a mobile home which is usually titled like an automobile. However, I feel that there is much more to the story that what you have given and probably the structures are occupied by others. The real question is whether your deed is valid and whether you actually own the property. Since there are three competing deeds, you are going to have to start an action to quiet title or either a declaratory action that your deed is valid. Than means that you are going to have to contact a local attorney, have him review the actual paperwork and then file the proper action to have you declared the true and only owner of the property.

If you can give me some more specific details I will be happy to continue but hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no clear deed. the buildings are storage building ,and no one is living in them. The person saying that he has 6/8 shares of the property cannot prove how he received it. There are no wills to be found. This property belonged to my grandparents and handed down to my mother, and her siblings.

I was just wondering because there is no clear deed, and I have a deed saying I have 100% interest in the property just like the other guys deed says, can I use the storage building that have been on the property for 50 yrs. They are part of the property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  lwpat replied 1 year ago.
You have a claim under what is called color of title and can take possession. However, you would be subject to a lawsuit by the other party claiming ownership. However, you have not indicated how or from whom you received your deed or how the other party received their deed. When there are competing deeds, there will have to be a court action to determine who actually has the rights to the property. It appears that person would also own the storage buildings. I am not sure how to make it any clearer
lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney with expertise in easements
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. the last reply makes the most sense to me. the more advice I receive, the more I will know how to move ahead in case I need to sue.

Expert:  lwpat replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. If you take possession and exclude the other party, it would then be up to them to do something. Good luck