Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  27 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

What UCC statue is it that says if a negotiable instrument

What UCC statue is it that says if a negotiable instrument (like a promissory note) is altered that it releases the obligation of the debtor.

Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Are you referring to
UCC ARTICLE 3-NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS
PART 4. LIABILITY OF PARTIES § 3-407. ALTERATION

“(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), an alteration fraudulently made discharges a party whose obligation is affected by the alteration unless that party assents or is precluded from asserting the alteration”

Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience: 27 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you have specific case law for Washington DC properties that cite this statue in a case(s) for wrongful foreclosure or quiet title action?

Also, do you have the UCC statue where an 'endorsed' promissory note releases the obligation of the debtor?

Ex:

Promissory note is endorsed 'Pay to the Order of Wells Fargo Bank'

Do you have specific case law for Washington DC properties that cite this statue in a case(s) for wrongful foreclosure or quiet title action? I am sorry I did not realize that you were requesting case law research. I will opt for another attorney to assist you as I will be logging off shortly.

Thank you for using JA!

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ex:

or is the same as you stated before

UCC ARTICLE 3-NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS