rvlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  30+ years NYC R.E.litigation & closings; contract law professor.

I have a few rental properties, but one in particular is not

I have a few rental properties, but one in particular is not in an LLC and I have a family friend that lives in the house with his family and pays fair rent. I do not have a rental insurance policy nor do I report this on my schedule D as I he is only living in the home for a few months until his settlement is finalized and he can purchase a new home for himself.

My question is since the home is technically considered owner occupied or second home, if my friend and his family invite a guest over and that guest gets hurt on my property and wants to sue for money, am I fully vulnerable to a civil lawsuit? What recommendations would you have in my situation? Thank you.

Hi and welcome,

If someone sustains an injury, you and the tenant will be sued. The injured party will claim that you should have known of and corrected any defect. The cause of the accident may have nothing to do with the person fallson gease on the floor

when the tenant was cooking. But you will be sued anyway. Get insurance at least

because the company will hire a lawyer to defend you in the suit and pay any judgment or settlement against you.

To find an attorney, go to This is a nationwide directory we lawyers use ourselves to find highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. These lawyers are NOT in Martindale because they paid to be included. They are there because they are rated as QUALIFIED by other lawyers in their field of expertise and geographic area as it applies to your kind of case. The process is this: other lawyers are asketo fill out questionnaires giving their opinion of the quality of the work of the law firm that ultimately appears in Martindale.

The site is organized geographically and by legal specialty. Consult with two or three and select the one you are most comfortable with. The Martindale listing will have the names of current or past clients. Contact those clients as references for the firm.

Please refer to the JUST ANSWER disclaimer and rule on this site. You have to consult with an attorney in your state and discuss this matter with him or her. THE REASON is that we do not have an attorney-client relationship and the confidentiality that goes with it on this site. Our exchange is available for all to see. Note that this rule is applicable even though I am a New York attorney and your question may relate to NY law.

ACCEPT MY ANSWER so that I may get
credit for assisting you. Then press 3,
4 or 5 to rate it.

Pleasedo NOT press 1 or 2 since that will:

1. Prevent me from being paid by your for my answer; and

2. Result in a negative rating for me which you may not have

If you want further information or clarification, just ask before you accept my
answer and give a rating.