Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have been renting a single family home in Florida since May

I have been renting a single family home in Florida since May of 2013 and now I have an emotional support dog but my landlord says he will not allow my dog to live with me. I have a doctors prescription that says I need the emotional support animal. Can the dog live with me?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I am sorry to hear you are having this problem with your landlord.
.
Is the landlord trying to say you can't have the dog because he has a no pets policy?.
.
How long have you had the dog?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My landlord is saying he has a no pet policy. He says that because he rents a private home and takes no federal funding that he is not bound by federal housing laws. I am a student and have been renting the house in Florida since May but have not been living in it since I live in Illinois. I have had the dog since July because I have anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed the emotional support animal.

Ok, even though legally an emotional support animal is not considered a "pet" but rather a health aid, just like a wheelchair, the landlord is correct. The ADA and the Fair Housing Act don't apply to private single family rentals unless the owner owns more than 3 single family rental houses at one time.
.
This is covered under Sec. 800. [42 U.S.C. 3601 note] Short Title
This title may be cited as the "Fair Housing Act".

.
(b)Nothing in section 804 of this title (other than subsection (c)) shall apply to--
(1) any single-family house sold or rented by an owner: Provided, That such private individual owner does not own more than three such single-family houses at any one time...
.
.
Sec. 804. [42 U.S.C. 3604] Discrimination in sale or rental of housing and other prohibited practices
.
.
So I am sorry to say it, because it is very unfair, but it would be legal for the landlord to prohibit you having the dog as an emotional support animal.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.
.
Thanks