How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6203
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents are close to 90 years old and live a six hour drive

This answer was rated:

My parents are close to 90 years old and live a six hour drive from me in Arizona. I reside in California. My sister and I have been trying to investigate and talk to our parents about the possibility of moving into a facility that would be less stress and risk than living in their home. They have not been interested in this until just now.

One of their neighbors took them to an independent living community and my parents ended up signing an agreement to move in for 90 days. They were talked into moving within a weeks time. They own their own home and have not prepared or packed anything nor have they had a chance to sell the home they own.

Turns out this neighbor is getting a $700 "finder's fee" from the facility for bringing them in.

My parents are not able to get ready to move this quickly. My mom has a bad back and my father is basically blind. They realize they do not want to move to this place and after contacting the facility, was told that NONE of their fees will be returned. In addition to the three months of $2770.00 ($8310.00), they also paid a $2770.00 "community fee" which grants them access to the dining room, games area, library and chapel. This fee on the contract stipulates if the agreement is terminated within 30 days they shall receive a 100% refund of the "community fee". The managers however told them that no fees would be returned.

I am looking for advice on how to go about handling this as they now have no intention of moving to this facility but felt very pressured to "act quickly" so they wouldn't lose their place. Hopefully, they will be able to get at least a portion of their fees returned.

Can this place keep their money and then re-rent it during the same time period?

I have access to the agreement they signed. Thank you in advance.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am an Arizona licensed Attorney and it will be pleasure to assist you today.

Can you attach the agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cannot attach the pdf.


I am sorry you are having difficulties attaching the document. Please feel free to email a copy of the document to [email protected] Once the site receives your email they forward the document to me.

You would let them know that you are working with Attorney2 on this question

Arizona considers financial exploitation of an elderly person a very serious crime. You may wish to file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General at


They need to have all of their money refunded.

Attyadvisor and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would the fee be to write a letter stating this?



Unfortunately, the terms of service agreement with the site will not allow the attorneys to represent customers of JA. The service allows us to provide general information. I am sorry.

Attorneys generally charge between $200-$500 an hour for their services. You can certainly file the complaint with the Attorney General on behalf of your parents without an attorney. There is no cost to file a complaint.

If you can tell me where your parents are located I can provide information for attorneys in their area to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are in Surprise, AZ 85374

This is a link for attorneys in Surprise that handle these types of legal matters.

Once you find an attorney or firm that you may wish to hire you can check their credentials with the State Bar Of Arizona at

You can also ask for a direct referral from the Maricopa County Bar Association.

Maricopa County Lawyer Referral Service

You can cross-reference any attorney or firm using Martindale Hubbell to check their status in the legal community at

Please feel free to return to this question at anytime with any follow up questions you may have with regard to this matter. Thank you for using JA!

Attyadvisor and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you.
Thank you.
I wanted to let you know that I received 3 pages of the rental agreement.

It appears that pages are missing.