Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My boyfriend and I are both on the lease. We had a domestic

My boyfriend and I are both on the lease. We had a domestic dispute. I took him to court and the judge would not agree to a restraining order because there was no "physical abuse". I moved out and left him there. I stopped paying rent, the boyfriend can't afford to pay. My question is when should I offer a settlement to the Owner of the property? The eviction notice was filed 8/6/2013. I want the boyfriend evicted, I was not willing to continue paying since he and I cannot co-exist in the same place. I have currently moved to another location in another city. He lives in Los Angeles. I live in Long Beach.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for using JA! I'll be glad to assist you.

If you're on the lease, you're responsible for the rent regardless of your situation with your boyfriend. I know that goes without saying, but I just wanted to mention it as a matter of course.

Thus, the sooner you can settle with the landlord, the better as that will get you out of the picture and prevent a wage garnishment, bank levy, etc. from being issued against you for the unpaid rent, etc.

The landlord can collect all or part of the judgment from either one of you (as both of you are 100% responsible for the rent), so you can try to settle and then let the owner go after your boyfriend for the remainder.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.