JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Real Estate Attorney! How may I help you?

Our house has four bedrooms, we rented the 3 rooms, we put

Customer Question

Our house has four bedrooms, we rented the 3 rooms, we put videocam outside & inside the house (kitchen area,dining area & stairs going to 2nd floor. For us, these are what we call common areas, but my room renters disagree to have cameras inside the house, do they have the right to disable our videocam inside the house? We are not always in the house, I just sleep there once a week because of my job but if we have time we drop by and check the house, to clean, to do the gardening & watering.
Another question is if my room renters want to have a meeting there & eating can they do it without securing any
permission? And do they have right to have their friends to stay overnight without permission?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 8 months ago.

I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service. You cannot have cameras inside of the home even in areas where there is an expectation of privacy. A shared area of a home is still private from outsiders and the landlord. A landlord is not permitted to have cameras in such an area without the permission of a tenant. Also, renters can have a meeting as you describe and need not have your permission to have a friend stay overnight. If a person moves-in, that is a different situation.

Please follow-up as needed. I would appreciate a positive service rating.

Thank you
JBaxLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced Real Estate Attorney! How may I help you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

You mean to say if my room renters conduct a business meeting with their friends from outside in our house they can do that without securing permission to us?

If they plant in our yard without proper permission they can do it even if they are just renting a room?

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 8 months ago.
The renters cannot alter the home or yard such as by planting, but they do have a right to use the yard and home as they are renting the home. A room rental typically includes a right to use common areas. You can exclude commercial activity where customers come and go, but you cannot prevent someone from working from home or having friends over.

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So, is it legal for my renters to invite friends to our home, do a business meeting in our

dining area/living room, and if it is yes, can they do it even if it's late like 10 or 10:30

in the evening?

Further, could we evict a renter, whose 1 year to rent-agreement/contract has not been renewed

or could we do the same for a delinquent payer?
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 8 months ago.
That depends on whether the rental agreement states they have a right to use the common area. If so, they can bring in friends. If you do not live there, they can. If you live there and share the area, you have a right if worded in the lease to reasonable limits such as large meetings. The key is whether the use would interfere with your or other tenants use of the common area and whether you stated limitations in the lease.

So long as you are not in a rent controlled area, you can require a renter to move out when the renter's leave has expired after providing 60 days written notice. If the renter does not leave then eviction would be required. Because you rarely stay in the home, it would seem you are not a roommate. This would mean normaly rental rules would apply.

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Where can we get or secure rental rules, and how can I determine if our house is in rent controlled area, our zip code is 90057

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 8 months ago.
LA is rent controlled. You can find a great deal of information and rules regarding renting in that area here:

http://lahd.lacity.org/lahdinternet/RSOPublicationsandForms/tabid/264/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Thank you again