J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

My 85 year old mom sold her home and is purchasing another.

My 85 year old mom sold her home and is purchasing another. She want me to put my name on the deed. Does her name need to be on the deed also to get homestead and property tax reduction in the state of Georgia?
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

A persons name must be on the deed/title to real property to obtain a homestead exemption. The general requirement to obtain a homestead is the home must be owned by homeowner and homeowner must occupy the property as their primary residence. Real property ownership is established by being named on the deed of record.

The Georgia statute is OCGA 48-5-40 here is a link: www.statutes.laws.com/georgia/title-48/chapter-5/article-2/part-1/48-5-45

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" or “continue conversation” tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.