Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I just signed a lease today, handed them a check for the security

I just signed a lease today, handed them a check for the security deposit and lock change, and am having second thoughts....

I am wondering if I can get out of the lease without any penalty if I am found in 'Breach' of the lease bc the lease requires that I sign up for renter's insurance....

So if for example I do not sign up for renter's insurance, would I be found in breach of the contract and then the lease is null and void?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Unfortunately no, it doesn't work that way. If you are in breach of the lease, that just means that you give the landlord the right to terminate the lease, evict, and then hold you liable for the rent until he finds a new tenant.
.
If you feel that you have to breach, you should notify the landlord as soon as possible so he can get it back on the market and minimize any potential liability for you.
.
.
Thanks